Chiropody with Sandra Rutt. MSSCh MBChA HCPC:

What is the difference between having a Pedicure and seeing a Chiropodist?

I get asked this question quite often. The simple answer is:
A Pedicure is a cosmetic treatment - Chiropody is a clinical procedure.
You would have pedicure treatment for nail painting, moisturising, massage, cosmetic exfoliation and hard skin removal. You would visit a Chiropodist for common foot complaints like bunions, corns, callus, verrucae (warts). Athletes foot, fungal nail etc. Chiropodists can also correct problems caused by wearing inappropriate footwear and accidental damage, and offer treatments and remedies associated with long term foot care. Chiropodists are qualified to administer prescription medicines and local anaesthetics. Chiropodists are trained in, and understand circulation problems relating to diabetes and old age. Chiropodists study biomechanics and orthotics, and apply this in their diagnoses and treatments of foot complaints where bone structure has been damaged or distorted.

What's the Difference between a Chiropodist and a Foot Healthcare Professional? or "What's happened to all the Chiropodists?"

Prior to 2002 The title of 'Chiropodist' was available to anyone who wanted to use it. No qualifications were required. This situation applied to a few other medical professional titles and in 2002 the Goverment stepped in and formed the 'Health Care Professional's Council' or HCPC for short, in order to protect the public from underqualified practitioners where there was a risk to public welfare. Chiropody became a 'protected title'. This does not mean that Chiropodists weren't properly trained or capable, it just means that a recognised standard of knowledge and skills now had to be met. This change in the law had a dramatic effect on the UK's well established chiropody training institutions.
A massive shortfall in foot care would have been disastrous and so a new professional title 'Foot Healthcare Professional' was adopted. Students receive the same training as institutionally trained chiropodists have always received and they have to pass exams to the same standard as before. There is no difference in the skill level achieved by successful students.

If you qualify for subsidised foot treatment you must see a person bearing the title Chiropodist or Podiatrist. (They mean exactly the same thing, Podiatrist is the preferred term in the USA)
Sandra studied full time for three years with the Smae in order to gain her Chiropodist qualification and then studied for a further year in order to meet the stringent requirements of the HCPC qualifying board.
Sandra is a member of the British Chiropody and Podiatry Association, The British Association of Foot Health Professionals and a Fellow of the SMAE Institute. Sandra is a "Surgical Chiropodist" registered with the HCPC. Registration number CH22880. The HPC changed it's name to Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC). The following Healthcare Professionals have to be registered in order to practice legally in the UK.
Arts therapist - Biomedical scientist - Chiropodist / podiatrist - Clinical scientist - Dietitian - Hearing aid dispenser - Occupational therapist - Operating department practitioner
Orthoptist - Paramedic - Physiotherapist - Practitioner psychologist - Prosthetist / orthotist - Radiographer - Social worker in England - Speech and language therapist (This list - correct at October 2013 - is likely to expand over time)